Ohhh your poor post-holiday liver. It’s probably in pain right now. Having done several 21 and 30-day detoxes, and having been sober for 11 months at one point (you know, the whole baby making thing) I have a set of tools to help me successfully complete a month without drinking that I hope will support you.
Foods for the liver
- Greens, duh.
- Beets and beet juice.
- Since beet juice is gross, I juice them with carrots and oranges.
The liver detoxes the body, so we want to help it out with watery foods:
See below for liver loving lunches and a breakfast option.
Drinks tons of water and herbal teas.
Essential oils for the liver
This powerful blend by doTERRA combines Rosemary, Cilantro, and Juniper Berry, known for their detoxifying properties and ability to support healthy liver and kidney function, while Tangerine and Geranium which have purifying effects against unhealthy substances.
- Add 1–2 drops to big (and I mean BIG ‘cause the taste is a strong) glass of water, citrus drinks or teas
- Take one drop daily in a gel cap with olive oil (you can get empty capsules at most health food stores) for one week as part of an internal cleansing regimen
- Apply to abdomen or bottoms of feet to support the body’s natural detoxification system
Liver tonic blend
- 2 drops Grapefruit
- 2 drops Slim and sassy
- 3 drops Zendocrine
- 7 drops Frankincense
- 7 drops Helichrysum
Mix in a 10ml roller bottle with fractionated coconut oil or jojoba oil. Roll onto bottoms of feet, up and down the spine and over the liver itself. Can apply it 2 – 3 times a day.
Contact me to find out how to get these oils at 25% off.
Sweat it out baby! HIIT, running, spinning, whatevs gets your heart pumping and gets you into a sweaty hot mess.
Yin yoga is EXCELLENT for the liver, as most poses activate the liver meridian (this is the energy pathway of the liver organ in Chinese medicine).
Self-care & support
It’s important to set up a system and environment to support your sobriety. Here are my favorite tools:
Dry brushing your body before you shower. This will help get rid of dead skin cells and activate lymphatic drainage.
Jade rolling your face for lymphatic drainage as well.
Acupuncture. Soooo good to get the liver meridian flowing freely.
5 minutes of journaling or meditation in the morning or before bedtime. If this is hard for you, just write down 5 things you’re grateful for each day. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
You got a sweet kiss from your child
You saw a sunset today
You don’t have a hemorrhoids
You had an epic smashed avo and toast for breakfast
You found $20 in your winter coat
Take Epsom salt baths with essential oils on Friday night instead of washing off the week with a bottle of Pinot.
Challenge your partner or BFF to join you so you have social support. It’s waaayyy easier to be sober when the person you live with isn’t drinking either. Get an accountability buddy and support each other in moments of weakness.
Keep your eye on the prize. Mark your calendar so it doesn’t feel like the challenge is too difficult.
When you drink to self-soothe after a hard day let’s say, grab a cup of tea and do the following quick self-soothing exercise.
So firstly, you need to get present and activate the parasympathetic nervous system, the “rest and digest” system that will calm you down and get you out of your mind.
Begin by taking 5 deep inhales and exhales.
Put your hands over your heart and say to yourself “it’s ok, you are safe. It’s ok, you are perfect.” Over and over until you feel your nervous system calm down. Repeat for a few minutes.
Handling social drinking
This is the HARDEST part about detoxing or doing a stint in Sober Ville: How to be social without drinking. I haven’t fully figured it out besides not going out as much, but here are some cheats:
- Say you’re raising money for a cause
- Say you’re on antibiotics
- Say you’re pregnant
Ok maybe lying isn’t the way, so in all honesty tell your friends/colleagues/dates that you aren’t drinking this month. And after the 2nd time asking you if “you’re sure” or persisting, people generally stop asking and it’s actually fine! If they don’t, go get new friends.
Liver cleansing medley recipes
Source: Woman Code by Alisa Vitti. A seriously amazing book, highly recommend it!
FRUIT SALAD FOR BREAKFAST
– Any combination of green apples, pears, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, grapes.
Squeeze fresh lemon juice on top and sprinkle with ground flaxseed.
SPRING MIX SALAD
– Slide 1 bunch radishes, 1 cucumber, a few stalks of celery, and a few carrots (or other veggies of your choice)
– Mix in bowl with mesclun greens and / or arugula and a jar of artichoke hearts, drained and sliced. Dress with olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
BOK CHOY SALAD
– Slice thinly and mix together: 6 stalks bok choy, 1/2 small red onion, 1 granny smith apple, and 1/2 cup sprouts. Add lemon juice, salt and coriander
– Let the veggies sit in the dressing to soften. Add olive oil before serving.
Good luck babe, you can do this!