There are soooo many essential oils to choose from, but I recommend starting with these 5 bad boys because they are super multi-purpose and can support almost any health goal you have.
1. PEPPERMINT: Think cooling, digestion, headaches, breathing, oral health & energy
The peppermint plant is a hybrid of watermint and spearmint and was first described by Carl Linneaus in 1753. Frequently used in toothpaste and chewing gum for oral hygiene, Peppermint also helps alleviate occasional stomach upset and promotes healthy respiratory function when taken internally.
- Digestive support
- Take one to two drops in a Veggie Capsule to alleviate occasional stomach upset.
- Put one drop in a big water bottle (4 ounces or more) and drink. As it’s a strong flavour, I recommend adding lemon or grapefruit to the water as well
- Breathing support: Take internally as mentioned above
- Headaches: Rub one drop in the palm of your hands and apply to forehead for headache relief
- Oral hygiene: Use a drop of Peppermint with Lemon in water for a healthy, refreshing mouth rinse
- Can also add a drop to coconut oil if you’re into oil pulling
- Cool down: On a hot day, rub one drop in your hands and apply to the back of the neck
- Energy boost:
- Place one drop in palm of hand with one drop Wild Orange and one drop Frankincense and inhale for a mid-day pick-me-up
- Diffuse three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice
- Add a drop to your favorite smoothie recipe for boost of energy and digestive support
BONUS TIP OF THE CENTURY: If you add one drop of peppermint and one drop of lemon to your water, it will significantly improve (and maybe even cure) your hangover. Hand over heart, I swear by this combo. More about lemon after the jump!
2. LAVENDER: Think soothing, skin, sleep & anti-anxiety
- Its calming and relaxing qualities, when taken internally, continue to be Lavender’s most notable attributes.
- Dilute one drop in a 4 fl. oz. of liquid and drink
- Applied topically, Lavender is frequently used to reduce the appearance of skin imperfections: pimples, sores, rashes, bug bites, weird unidentifiable spots…
- Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimize any skin sensitivity or Jojoba oil (or skin oil of your choice like sesame or olive oil)
- I’ve also pimped my favourite face mist by adding 10 drops of lavender to it, which I spray whenever I feel so inclined to prevent imperfections from forming
- Side note: Bugs actually don’t like the smell of lavender so you can also use it as a natural insect repellent
- Apply to the temples and the back of the neck to reduce stress. See above of topical use.
- Add to bath water to soak away stress
- Sleep aid. Add a few drops of Lavender to pillows, bedding, or bottoms of feet to relax and prepare for a restful night’s sleep.
- Add a few drops to pillows and bedding. Dilute in a glass spray bottle with water and spray away!
- Dilute in a carrier oil for application to the bottoms of your feet or get the Lavender touch roller
- Diffuse 3 to 4 drops in a diffuser
- Use in cooking to soften citrus flavours and add a flavourful twist to marinades, baked goods, and desserts.
3. FRANKINCENSE: Think skin, healthy cellular function, immune & nervous system, and peace/chill/zenness
Frankincense is called the “king of oils” and there’s a saying in the oil world: When in doubt, Frankincense it out. It’s soothing and beautifying properties are used to rejuvenate skin and help reduce the appearance of imperfections when applied topically. Frankincense is known to support healthy cellular function when used internally. When inhaled or diffused, Frankincense promotes feelings of peace, relaxation, satisfaction, and overall wellness.
- Wrinkles and skin imperfections: Apply topically to help reduce the appearance of skin imperfections, including wrinkles. I’ve diluted mine with a carrier oil and I roll it on my face on top of my creams. You can also mix one drop in with your moisturizer.
- Mood: Can be applied to the bottoms of feet to promote feelings of relaxation and to balance mood. Dilute with a carrier oil or get the Frankincense touch roller ball.
- Meditation: Diffuse 3 to 4 drops while getting ready to meditate or before bed.
- Mix 1 to 2 drops in the palm of your hands with a carrier oil and take 5 big, deep, belly breaths before meditation to connect more quickly with your practice
- Cellular health: Take one to two drops in a veggie capsule to support healthy cellular function, or dilute one drop in a big glass of water
4. TEA TREE (aka MELALEUCA): Think purifying, cleansing and immunity boosting
Melaleuca is best known for its purifying properties. It can be used to cleanse and purify the skin and nails and to support a healthy complexion (it’s a pimple banisher!). Taken internally, Melaleuca promotes healthy immune function, and Melaleuca can be used on surfaces throughout the home to protect against environmental threats and kill germs. Plus it helps purify and freshen the air.
- Spots (the British way for saying pimples. Is it just me or is pimples such a horrible word?!): Apply 1–2 drops of Melaleuca essential oil onto affected area. I will often dilute with a carier oil in my hand and then apply to said spot because Tea tree oil can be quite strong, so it depends on your sensitivity level
- Facial cleansing: Combine 1–2 drops with your facial cleanser for added cleansing properties
- Shaving irritation: Dilute with a carrier oil or on a cotton pad and apply to skin after shaving
- Mani/ Pedi: Apply to fingernails and toenails after showering to purify and keeps nails looking healthy.
- Immune boosting: Add 1–2 drops to water, citrus drinks, or veggie caps to support healthy immune system function.
- Home cleaning/ Surface germ killing: Add a few drops to a glass spray bottle with water and use on surfaces to protect against environmental threats.
- Clean air: Diffuse 3 to 4 drops to purify the air in your home or office space
- TIP -> If you take public transportation I highly recommend diffusing during cold and flu season with the On Guard blend
5. ON GUARD: Think immunity, protection, cardiovascular health and germ killer
Speaking of On Guard (this is my way of making sure you scroll up and read my last few points), On Guard is a doTERRA blend that protects against environmental and seasonal threats with essential oils known for their positive effects on the immune system. On Guard can be taken internally on a daily basis to maintain healthy immune function and support healthy cardiovascular function. It can also be used on surfaces throughout the home as a non-toxic cleaner. When diffused, doTERRA On Guard helps purify the air, and can be very energizing and uplifting.
PLUS IT SMELLS LIKE CHRISTMAS AND WHO DOESN’T LIKE CHRISTMAS?!!
- Immunity/Protection & Cardiovascular Health:
- Add two to three drops in a veggie capsule for an immune boost
- Add a drop in a tall glass of water
- Soak sliced apples in water and a few drops for a healthy, immune-boosting snack
- Diffuse 3 to 4 drops
- Non-toxic home cleaner: Add to water for an effective all-purpose surface cleaner
- Natural hand cleaner: Combine a few drops of with Fractionated Coconut Oil for a natural hand cleanser. Or get the On Guard touch and roll on hands
- Air purifier: Diffuse to clean yo’ air hommie
- Fighting colds: Dilute with carrier oil and rub/roll onto throat and chest when you feel a cold coming on
Ok I lied! There are actually 6 that I use every single day, so I have to shout out to my EO power house, LEMON.
6. LEMON: Think cleansing, purifying, detoxing, energizing & positivity
Lemon is a powerful cleansing agent that purifies the air and surfaces, and can be used as a non-toxic cleaner throughout the home. When added to water, Lemon provides a refreshing and healthy boost throughout the day. Lemon is frequently added to food to enhance the flavour of desserts and main dishes. Taken internally, Lemon provides cleansing and digestive benefits and supports healthy respiratory function. When diffused, Lemon is very uplifting and energizing and has been shown to help improve mood.
- Internal cleansing: Add a drop to a big glass of water and take internally
- Easy breathing: Take internally to assist with seasonal respiratory discomfort
- Home cleaning: Add Lemon oil to a spray bottle of water to clean tables, countertops, and other surfaces.Lemon oil also makes a great furniture polish; simply add a few drops to olive oil to clean, protect, and shine wood finishes.
- Use a cloth soaked in Lemon oil to preserve and protect your leather furniture and other leather surfaces or garments.
- Lemon oil is a great remedy for the early stages of tarnish on silver and other metals.
- It can also remove glue and goopy, sticky things
- Fruit & veggie wash: Add a few drops to a bowl/sink with water and clean your fruit and veggies
- Energy & positivity: Diffuse to create an uplifting environment. Rub with carrier oil onto hands and breath in for some positive vibes in the morning
- Air purifying: Diffuse to clean the air