As part of my yoga teacher training we have to do a 40-day sadhana practice. Sadhana translates to “a means of accomplishing something” and is a discipline undertaken in the pursuit of a goal. So that means that we’ll be doing 40 straight days of yoga and taking 30 minutes every day for ourselves to explore all facets of our practice. This can include:
- Asanas (postures)
- Pranayama (breathing exercises)
- Chanting/mantra repetition
- Karma yoga: volunteering or helping people
- Jnana yoga, study: watching a video or listening to a podcast from a yoga or mindfulness teacher, reading about yoga, studying its philosophy
- Bhakti yoga: doing something I love! It doesn’t have to be on my mat and can include dancing, singing, running…
I’m so excited for this practice and my intention is to use it to accomplish a few asanas that I’ve been struggling with (cough, headstand and handstand, cough cough), but more importantly I intend to reconnect with my core self. The last few months haven’t been super easy and when life gets turbulent it’s easy to lose sight of what really matters. I’m anxious to see how a daily practice will help me in this area.
So, who wants to join me and become a fierce, swagalicious warrior of light?